Learning how to hold the violin bow doesn’t have to be difficult or daunting. Here are the steps to a proper bow hold:
- Make a “bunny” with your right hand. Touch your thumb to the middle and ring fingers and the pointer and pinky are the “ears” of the bunny. Remember to keep the thumb round, not straight.
- Place the thumb on the inside bump of the frog. (you can also start out with it on the outside silver piece, which is called the ferrule).
- The pinky perches on top with a curve.
- The pointer finger rests on the silver winding of the stick at an angle.
- The middle and ring finger touch the frog.